AN OPEN LETTER TO THE MANAGEMENT OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CAPE COAST AND THE SRC
By Elizabeth Esinam Doe
June 11, 2020
E-LEARNING _ OUR BEST BET AMID COVID-19!
There has been a lot of questions without answers. COVID-19 continues to frustrate the contract between the university and we as students of the noble institution. In my opinion, neither the school nor students is to be blamed for a slow progress or halt in our academic lives. Parents are concerned about students welfare and what happens to the academic year not yet completed after COVID 19.
It is important to be reminded that, the SRC whom we as students elected have done so well. About over the months and we appreciate them for that. We say ayeekooo! However, I would like to state categorically that the SRC did not help the student body when the pressing issue. Which was regarding e-learning, online quizzes and assessments as concerned. In my opinion, the SRC didn’t only jeopardize our chance to continue studying and getting assessed. They also toyed with our future. Students in the lower levels that’s (100s to 300s). They continue to stay home and await the President of the republic to determine our fate. While the 400s return to campus and complete the academic year. Mind you the SRC constitute mostly 400s.
The SRC has left us at the mercy of the government while they go back to school and finish the academic year.
This is unacceptable and we cannot stop them from going to school. We can ask them to stop making decisions on our behalf and allow management of the school to make prudent decisions on our behalf. Until a new SRC is elected.
We apologise to management of the university for frustrating them in their attempt to help us. Also in our attempt to stay home and do nothing. Thereby, coming up with many excuses about data, unfavourable network and inconvenience of the e-learning. I appeal to management to forgive us. We are ready to take exams and be assessed via the e-learning platform. Management of the university should please move swiftly into action and effectively commence lectures, quizzes and exams via the e-learning platform.
Also, i would like to remind students who do not have access to proper network connection. And those without smart phones amongst other problems to be reassured that the university would make provision for them to partake in this activity. Moreover, the 20% or less of the student body facing this problem would not hinder the rest 80% to benefit from the e-learning arrangement. In as much as we want you to join us. We cannot wait for you and we’re really sorry for that. We believe management will strategize something for you to also benefit fully from this arrangement.
It’s been 3 months and counting since we left campus for home and we will all truthfully admit that we’ve been very active on social media.
Indeed, on the average, GH20.00 is spent individually on data to navigate social media platforms. This can be channelled to studying via the e-learning platform. If we are to find excuses, we all would find a hundred and one reasons not to engage in e-learning from the comfort of our homes. Also, it would be very prudent therefore to urge each of you to find one strong and convincing reason to engage in e-learning. For me, I believe we can do this with heartfelt conviction and innermost sincerity that this (e-learning) is our best bet right now.
I hope this finds you in good health. Continue keeping safe. Continue adhering to safety precautions. Hopefully when all this is over, we will see each other once more.
GOD BLESS US ALL
GOD BLESS OUR HOMELAND
GOD BLESS UCC
GOD BLESS ACTIVISM AND ADVOCACY
Elizabeth Esinam Doe ( Concerned Student)